Dr. Ramakanta Panda,
Padma Bhushan Awardee
Vice Chairman & Managing Director
Chief Consultant for Cardiovascular Thoracic Surgery Asian Heart Institute,Mumbai.
- Trained in cardiac surgery from the All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi.
- Completed his fellowship training at Cleveland Clinic, USA, under Dr. Floyd Loop – pioneer of Bypass surgery, followed by two years as an Associate Staff.
- Sr. Registrar at the Harefield Hospital, in the United Kingdom, training under Professor Magdi Yacoub, considered one of the foremost cardiac surgeons in the world.
- Considered the best heart surgeon in India, Dr. Panda has performed over 20,000 cardiac surgeries including over 1,000 Redo Bypass Surgeries and over 3,000 high risk surgeries.
- He has specialized in Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting using only arterial grafts, beating heart surgery, redo bypass surgery, valve repair, complex aneurysms.
- He is one of the safest heart surgeons in the world with a 99.7% success rate in bypass surgery.
- Credited and recognized amongst his peers as the first in the country to introduce the concept of ‘Total Arterial Revascularization’, as well as being one of the pioneers of “off-pump” bypass surgery, redo bypass surgery, and high risk surgery.
- Under his leadership, Asian Heart Institute has established itself as the Best Heart Hospital in India in 2011, 2012, and 2014, as well as the highest accredited hospital with JCI, ISO and NIAHO accreditations.
- Honoured with the Padma Bhushan – India’s third highest civilian award.
- Conferred the Utkal Ratna in 2015.
- Conferred with Degree of Doctorate in Science (Honorius Causa) from Utkal University, Orissa.
- Awarded the prestigious RashtriyaSamman for being one of the highest taxpayers during the assessment years 1994-95 to 1998-99, by the Central Board of Taxes, Government of India.
- Set up the Sarla Madan Charitable Trust in Orissa, the Asian Heart Charitable Trust, and helped hundreds of economically handicapped patients.