The name of this organization is S.C.B. Medical College Alumni Association (Alternate Short Name: SCBians)
To engage our alumni in achieving academic excellence as well as foster welfare and progress of their alma mater.
- Create a portal for communication between alumni and the institution to deliver news and information and easy access for lifelong alumni connectivity.
- To encourage, foster and promote close relations among themselves.
- Collaborate in academic initiatives
- Be the brand ambassadors of the institution.
- Endowment support
- Promote Health awareness and render periodic health care services to the public.
The goals of SCB Medical College Alumni Association are:
- To develop a comprehensive database of all alumni.
- To develop a website with an online newsletter regarding significant events in the lives of alumni and the present SCB Medical College community.
- To assist with the planning and organization of reunions.
- To develop, coordinate and maintain the SCB Medical College Cuttack Hall of fame.
- To provide a platform for Promoting Health awareness and rendering periodic health care services to the public.
- All undergraduate medical students of the SCB Medical College, Cuttack (hereinafter referred to as “the College”) are eligible for membership of the Association on qualifying for their basic medical degree and completion of internship from SCB Medical College.
- All Post graduates (MD, MS) and Post doctoral (DM, MCh) students who have successfully completed their training in SCB Medical College, Cuttack are eligible for membership.
- Eligible Alumnus desirous of becoming members of the Association will have to apply to the Association Secretary in the prescribed form with 2 copies of passport-size photographs and a self attested photo copy of the Degreecertificate (MBBS/MD/MS/DM/MCh/DNB) along with a Cheque/Demand Draft/Net banking details towards membership fees.
- Faculty Members of SCB Medical College, Cuttack who are not alumni of the college can apply for Honorary Membership [without voting rights], and they shall be members until they are Faculty members of the institution.
- Other distinguished persons who have been conferred Merit Awards of the Alumni Association for their significant contributions to the College or the Association can be Honorary Members without voting rights.
A one-time Life Membership Fee of INR. 5000/-(Five thousand Rupees only) shall be collected from all eligible potential members during their induction after scrutiny and acceptance of the membership application by the Executive Committee.
Activities of the Association
The Association may undertake any and all activities consistent with the vision and objectives of the association including:
- Conduct of Reunions, meetings, workshops, conferences, social & cultural gatherings, educational activities, fund raising programs, awards and publications.
- Association may receive fees or contributions for any of these activities and also accept donations from members and other benevolent individuals/organisations.
- The association shall purely utilise funds for activities mentioned above.
- The association shall periodically organize Programs for Promoting Health awareness and rendering health care services to the public.
The Association shall maintain an office in the campus of the College.
Executive Committee [EC]
- Office bearers
- The President-1, President Elect-1, Past-President-1
- The Vice-President (Intra-mural)-1
- The Vice-President (Extra-mural)-2
- The Secretary-1, Joint Secretary-1
- The Treasurer-1
- Website cum Social Media Secretary (WCSMS)-1
- Events Management Secretary-1
- The Editor-1
- Executive Committee Members [ECMs]: 5 (Five)
- Extramural members: 3
- Intramural members: 2
- Terms of Office
- The office bearers shall hold office for three-year terms.
- The terms of the President, Secretary and Treasurer shall be staggered in that order such that only one of them need be appointed each year.
- If any of these three is unable to complete his/her normal term, an interim incumbent is to be appointed by the Executive Committee for the duration of the remaining term, such that the staggering arrangement is not disturbed.
- Eligibility to office
- The Dean & Principal will be the Chief Patron of the S.C.B. Medical College Alumni Association.
- Superintendant will be the Patron of the S.C.B. Medical College Alumni Association.
- The Vice-President (Intra-mural) shall be an alumni who is a staff of the College.
- The Vice-Presidents (Extra-mural) [two] should be members who are not on the staff of the College. If he/she joins the staff of the College, they shall demit office.
- For all officers, other than the President and Vice-Presidents (Extra-mural), only members of the Association who are on the staff of the College, but are not “Administrative Officers” of the College, can hold office.
- Besides the office bearers of EC, there will be 5 ECMs (EC members), 2 of whom would be intramural [Members of the SCB Medical College staff] members, and 3 shall be extramural members (who will not be faculty members of SCB Medical College). They shall be co-opted by the EC.
- Appointments of Office Bearers
- All appointments of Officers shall be by election during the Annual General Body Meetings (AGMs) for which the EC may make recommendations in this regard. When an office becomes vacant in between AGMs, the EC shall make an interim appointment till the next AGM.
Functions of Officers
- The president shall preside over the meetings of the EC and the General Body (GB) meetings. When he/she, or the Vice-President [Intra-mural] in their stead, is not able to fulfill these functions, the EC may nominate a member of the Committee for the same.
- The Vice-President (Intra-mural) shall act for the President in his/her absence.
- The Secretary is the Chief Executive Officer of the Association responsible for all its activities other than those for which there are named officers, including co-ordination among the later. He/she shall draft the minutes of the meetings of the EC and the GB and shall circulate it to all members of the EC, with the approval of the President, within two weeks of the meeting. He/she shall ensure periodic publication of the Membership Directories of the Association and organize the Annual Alumni Reunions.
- The Joint Secretary shall help and assist the secretary and ensure periodic publication of the Membership Directories of the Association and organize the Annual Alumni Reunions.
- The Treasurer is the financial officer of the Association and shall be responsible for all the funds of the Association, their receipts, payments and accounts, and annual auditing of the same. Any expenditure exceeding INR.10,000, or such sum as may be decided by the AGM from time to time, should be specifically authorized by the GB.
- The Editor shall be responsible for the publications of the Association including the SCB Medical College Alumni Journal, under the guidance of the EC with regard to general policy, subscriptions, advertisements and measures for financial stability.
- The Events Management Secretary shall be responsible for organizing events during the Alumni Reunion(s) and other occasions as may be decided by the EC, within the budgets approved by it.
- The Website cum Social Media Secretary (WCSMS) will be in charge of management of website and promotion of alumni on social media especially Facebook and Twitter. WCSMS will handle updation and upgradation of the Alumni Association website and will be the interface between the association and social media.
Funds of the Association
- The funds of the Association shall be of three kinds:
- Maintenance Fund for the running expenses of the Association.
- Special Funds for specific designated purposes, as approved by the Executive Committee.
- Endowment Funds, set up with the approval of the General Body, for generating income for general or designated activities of the Association.
- All funds of the Association shall be held as “Special Funds” of the Alumni Association and overseen by the Treasurer of the Association, except the following:
- A bank account may be operated by the Secretary (with the Treasurer as co-signatory on a “Either or Survivor” basis) specifically for the conduct of Alumni Reunions.
- The Fund(s) for the SCB Medical College Alumni Journal shall be “Special Funds” of the Association overseen by the Editor, subject to periodic review by the Executive Committee.
General Body [GB] Meetings
- The GB of the members of the Association shall meet annually during the Annual Alumni Reunion to receive reports from the Secretary, Treasurer and Editor, to approve annual audited statement of accounts for the various funds of the Association, to elect the Officers and to consider and decide on all activities of the Association.
- The GB may meet at other times as decided by the EC, with a notice of not less than three days to all the alumni on the staff of the College and to such other alumni as are easily accessible.
- While the GB Meetings are the final decision making body of the Association, the Secretary shall make every effort to elicit the views of the far flung alumni as far as possible and to convey the same to the GB or the EC as the case may be.
- The GB Meetings can be conducted with a minimum of 50 members for AGM and 30 members for other meetings. If there is no Quorum at the start of the meeting, meeting time will be extended once for 30 minutes. If still there is no quorum, GBM will be cancelled.
The Executive Committee
Shall consist of all the Officers of the Association and not more than five extra-mural alumni co-opted annually by them. It shall meet as often as needed, but at least twice between the AGMs. In between GB Meetings, the EC shall have the power to do all that the GB can do. But any policy decisions taken by the EC in this way shall be presented to the subsequent GB meeting for approval or other action.
Representation at the College Council
The Secretary, shall represent the Association at the meetings of the S.C.B. Medical College Council on invitation.
Amendments may be made to this constitution, except in regard to the objective, by decision of not less than two thirds of the members present at an AGM after the following procedure. The proposed amendments(s) shall be communicated by the Secretary, when authorised to do so by the EC, to all the members of the Association on its mailing list, not less than 30 days before the AGM. Only if the proposal is approved by not less than two thirds of the replies received up to five days before the AGM, shall it be considered by the AGM.
In case of dissolution of the Association, its assets shall be taken over by the College and applied for purposes consistent with the Objective of the Association.