Srirama Chandra Bhanja Medical College & Hospital (S.C.B Medical College) is a pioneer medical institute in Eastern India in medical teaching, training, research and patient care. This Institution is situated in the City of Cuttack with a sprawling campus of 87.32 acres. It has been recognized by MCI (Medical Council of India) as an ideal undergraduate institution facilitating education and training in super speciality subjects under medical and surgical disciplines.
The origin of the dispensary which the Cuttack general hospital replaced, is lost in antiquity. It is believed to have existed since the days of Indian Rule in Odisha and was established primarily for the benefit of the pilgrims proceedings to Puri (otherwise called Jagannath). It was originally maintained from the proceeds of an endowment made by Marahatta Government.
In 1874 it was raised to the status of a General Hospital, accommodation being provided for the treatment of sick European and European servants, of Government at Cuttack. The institution was principally supported by the ‘Annachhatra Find’ and annual assignment made by the British Government.
In 1925 the hospital was provincialised and since then it has been maintained by the provincial Government.The establishment of the present hospital was almost synchronous with the foundation of the Odisha Medical School during the Lieutenant Governorship of Sir Richard Temple and the commissioner ship of Mr. T.E. Ravenshaw, Since then the hospital is supplying clinical materials for the practical training of the medical students. The hospital is now named as the “Sriram Chandra Bhanja Medical College Hospital, Cuttack vide G.O. No. 9620 L.S.G. dated 20.10.49.
With the gradual popularity of the Institution and growing needs of the people, the bed strength of the hospital was raised from time to time. The bed strength of the hospital was 215 in 1933, 227 in 1938, 246 in 1946, 335 in 1951, 535 in 1952, 747 in 1959, 756 in 1962, 892 in 1964, 954 in 1965, 1040 in 1966 and 1080 since May’68 and now 1107 (with 12 beds under post partum of Accidental service unit of 10 beds.)
Management :Government of Orissa
Year of Foundation : 1944
Year of recognition by M.C.I.
Undergraduate – 1951
Postgraduate – 1962
M.B.B.S. ( Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery)
B.D.S. (Bachelor of Dental Surgery)
MD (Medicinae Doctor / Doctor of Medicine)
MS (Master of Surgery)
DM (Doctor of Medicine)
M.Ch.( Magister Chirurgiae / Master of Surgery)
DNB (Diplomate of National Board)
Ph.D. (Doctor of Philosophy)